Beginners Guide – Some Basic Information On Solar Parking Lights
Solar parking lot lighting is one of the most efficient and trending ways to bring a radical reduction in electricity bills. This kind of lighting provides a very effective solution for all the parking lots, which are required to meet certain standards regarding brightness and lighting levels.
Solar parking lot lighting has numerous benefits such as,
- It can be installed anywhere,
- There are no blackouts and electricity bills
- There is no need for trenching and maintenance.
Use of solar energy to power parking lot lights
Use of solar energy combined with LED lights as lighting sources, is an ideal solution not only for effective lighting of car spaces and new parking lots, but also for saving the environment. This technology has the least impact on ecology as compared to other lighting sources.
It is really easy and convenient to install solar powered LED lights and they also help us to save a lot of money, time and energy for both short and long periods of time.
Working of solar parking lot lighting systems
- At dawn of the day, the voltage of a solar powered lighting system increases and becomes greater than its magnitude at night-time. After it reaches a specific threshold, the controller present in the system detects it and cuts off the power, so that the lights get turned off.
- This will lead to the recharging of batteries, which got depleted and discharged, when they were providing power to the lights.
- During the daytime, solar energy is captured by solar panels for conversion into electricity with the intention of recharging the batteries. Their solar controller again acts by charging the battery for the whole day and regulating the current supply, in order to avoid overcharging the batteries.
- At dusk, the photocells present in the solar panels will sense the drop in voltage, because of the sunset, and no supply of charges to the panels. The charged batteries provide electricity to the lighting sources and turn them on. There are also backup days for these solar powered lights provided by manufacturers for handling inclement weather.
- At night-time, we get the voltage, which is lower than its default value of the solar panels. Due to this, the controller constantly supplies power to the lighting sources for the whole night till the sunrise.
Different solar powered lighting for different parking lots
There are various types of commercial solar parking lot lights manufactured by several reputable as well as reliable companies in the country. You should choose one, which provides high output LED lighting sources for parking lots, and helps in reducing energy costs, while meeting all the requirements of a standard parking lot.
Each parking lot should have lighting system, which is the most suitable for each other, hence different parking lots entail different lighting.
For narrower and smaller parking lots, solar powered flood or street lights make the most appropriate solution. Ensure that you know the space type of your parking lot before lighting it. Also, the flood or street lights must be ideally capable of fulfilling all the lighting requirements of a parking lot.
For large parking lots with big vehicles, area lighting fixtures are the best as they provide evenly distributed and semicircular light to the lots. For parking lots located in areas with high temperatures, canopy light fixtures are the most suitable options for use.
These lights can be easily fixed at places where canopies are built for providing shade to cars at day time. These lighting sources offer steady, even, cooling and long-term light for the whole night.
Solar lighting of parking lots can be seen as part of green parking lots, which are being designed in various countries in order to be more sustainable in environmental aspects. It is true that lighting in parking lots is highly necessary for security purposes, but it is also a fact that there must be minimum consumption of energy so that a balance is created between parking lights and their energy intake.