Facebook Announces Q4 Results, Revenue Up 40% to $1.59B
Facebook reported its Q4 results today showing a year-on-year revenue growth of 40% to %1.59 billion. Mobile revenues grew to make up 23 percent of the company’s total and mobile monthly active users rose to 680 million, or up 57 percent year-over-year.
Facebook also beat analysts’ estimates on EPS and net income with about $65 million in net income to an average estimate of $45.8 million, and EPS excluding certain changes of 17 cents, compared to the forecast of 15 cents a share from the same Bloomberg survey. In the same time a year ago, Facebook earned $302 million in net income on $1.131 billion in revenue.
As for the revenue breakdown, Facebook has two primary revenue sources: advertising and payments. Ad revenue was $1.33 billion, up 41 percent from the year before. Payments revenue came in at $256 million, but was essentially flat year-over-year if you factor in some accounting changes that required Facebook to count four months of revenue instead of the normal three for the quarter.
Fourth Quarter 2012 Operational Highlights
- Monthly active users (MAUs) were 1.06 billion as of December 31, 2012, an increase of 25% year-over-year
- Daily active users (DAUs) were 618 million on average for December 2012, an increase of 28% year-over-year
- Mobile MAUs were 680 million as of December 31, 2012, an increase of 57% year-over-year
- Mobile DAUs exceeded web DAUs for the first time in the fourth quarter of 2012
Recent Business Highlights
- Mobile revenue represented approximately 23% of advertising revenue for the fourth quarter of 2012, up from approximately 14% of advertising revenue in the third quarter of 2012
- Facebook launched Graph Search Beta, a structured search tool that enables users for the first time to find people, places, photos and other content that has been shared on Facebook
- Launched Facebook for Android 2.0, completely rebuilt to deliver improved stability and faster performance and opened Facebook Messenger to anyone with a telephone number