This is what Steve himself claims to be the contents of his backpack during travel. He also gives justifications.
You might think this is abnormal for me but, to the contrary, it’s customary.
Every extension cord and USB adapter and USB cable shown here I carry all the time in my backpack with a few exceptions:
• one Belkin AC tripler with dual USB I carry in my suitcase
• one dual USB adapter is from Janet’s travel stuff
• Canon battery charger is carried in the camera bag
• firewire HD I carry in my suitcase
• Verizon 3G mifi adapter (standard micro USB screws up this mifi, have to use their awkward connecter)
Almost every USB cable is retractable.
Every device shown, I carry in my pockets or in my backpack all the time except:
• 2 iPhones, an iPod nano and an iPad belonging to Janet.
Some people ask how heavy my backpack is. There are a lot more things in my backpack including
• the AirPort Express and MacBook Pro 85W magsafe adapter, which are out of sight in this photo,
• bluetooth mouse,
• projector connectors,
• multiple Gameboy Lights (a Gameboy sold in Japan but never in the U.S.),
• Gameboy link cables,
• plenty of foreign AC adapters,
• prism glasses for watching movies in bed,
• earplugs for concerts,
• Ultimate Ears UE18 earplugs for flights,
• Gameboy link cable,
• tons of pencils for pencil games on flights,
• tons of pens,
• tons of sharpies,
• tons of paint pens (signing),
• red-blue-purple-yellow-green laser pointers,
• credit cards,
• hotel cards,
• airline cards,
• hard rock card,
• medical cards,
• small accessories like olloclip iPhone lens adapter,
• flash keys,
• flash media adapters,
• cigarette lighter dual USB adapter,
• audio doubler cable,
• iPad USB/SD Card adapters,
• toiletries for hotels,
• batteries of many types (AA, AAA, CR2, CR128, odder types for things like my bag beeper for locating my suitcase)
• $2 bill pads,
• pencil puzzles,
• itineraries for upcoming travel…
I usually say that my backpack weighs 50 pounds. I’m not sure but I have to carry it every step through airports. I’m sure that I’m shorter now than before and I don’t walk as fast. Everything has its place in my backpack.
Sometimes TSA takes a long time unpacking it. A couple of times they asked me to take out everything electronic and I asked for seven bins, all of which I filled (only 2 half-size), plus my MacBook Pro, plus the bag. All of that through the X-ray machine. Then repack it.
Nothing in my backpack goes unused, although the bluetooth mouse is close.